On February 23rd 2014 twenty settlers, led by Baruch Marzel, sat down at two tables covered in food on the side of the Sahleh street, near the Ibrahimi mosque, impeding construction and renovation work on a new shop. Baruch Marzel is the leader of the far right-oriented Jewish National Front party. He claims he was the “right hand man” of assassinated Rabbi Meir Kahane, acting as spokesman for the American rabbi’s Kach organization for ten years, until it was outlawed in Israel and the US as a terrorist organization.
Hebron Rehabilitation Committee has a working permit for the restoration of the shop. The settlers attempted to stop the workers from continuing these renovations. Twenty members of various Israeli forces (border police, civilian police and soldiers) were present to protect the settlers.
One CPTers talked to the owner of the shop and he said “ we have permit to work, and the settlers came and claim it is not a working area”.
As the Palestinian workers decided to resume work, the settlers became furious and tried to stop them again. A Palestinian activist asked one of the soldiers why the settlers were allowed to stop the work, since a permit from the Israeli Civil Administration had been issued, and she replied “the street is a public place!”
Once again, Palestinian men resumed work. More settlers joined in the effort to stop the work, taking photos and video of those involved. In the end, the police and the Palestinian workers, reached an agreement to stop working for one hour until the police could convince the settlers to leave.
Christian Peacemaker… on Israeli Military Welds Shut Pa… Kjetil Nilsen on Israeli Military Welds Shut Pa… inst1 on Hijacking a kidnapping Urgent call for inte… on Palestinian property rights un… Tye on Stop and Frisk — Ag…
Blogs I Follow
- contact us
- Children under Occupation
- Human Rights
- Settler violence
- FiringZone 918
- Firing Zone 918 background
- Firing Zone 918 Legal Update
- Firing Zone 918 advocacy
- Firing Zone 918 resources
- map of Firing Zone 918 in Masafer Yatta
- Mennonite World Review: Shepherds threatened in firing zone
- firing zone 918 map
- Firing Zone 918 history
- Sample Letter of Concern about Firing Zone 918
- World’s literary stars sign Israeli petition against destruction of Palestinian villages
Christian Peacemaker Teamscptheb@cpt.org
- CPT is happy to welcome Mohammad back home. Alhumdullah! twitter.com/Human_Defender… 2 days ago
- A week in Photos: June 13 - June 19 - mailchi.mp/cpt/cpt-palest… 5 days ago
- A week in Photos: June 6 - June 12 - mailchi.mp/cpt/cpt-palest… 1 week ago
- A Week in Photos: May 30 - June 5 - mailchi.mp/cpt/a-week-in-… 2 weeks ago